Gwendolyn Sasse is the Director of ZoiS (Centre for Eastern European and International Studies) in Berlin since 1 October 2016 as well as professor of comparative politics in the Department of Politics and International Relations and the School of Interdisciplinary Area Studies at the University of Oxford.
Prof Gwendolyn Sasse
Her academic career spans the study of history, Slavonic studies and political science at the University of Hamburg and an MSc and PhD in political science at the London School of Economics. After gaining her doctorate, she first took up a post as Assistant Professor at the Central European University, and then a as Lecturer/Senior Lecturer at the London School of Economics before moving to Oxford in 2007.
- Post-communist transitions (with a particular focus on Ukraine)
- Comparative democratization and authoritarianism
- Ethnic conflicts in Eastern Europe
- Migration from and within Eastern Europe
- EU eastward enlargement/Eastern Partnership